Sunday, June 15, 2014

Worthless Story Of Cleaning

I've heard it said that it is an American thing to respond in times of crisis and to be neglectful when some preventive measure could be taken that would avert crisis. I don't know exactly how true that is, but it feels right. It applies some to me. I struggle to do what is necessary in small doses so that I don't have to do a whole lot of what is right all at once. I never manage to clean one dish. I always am cleaning a whole bunch at once after I've been asked a little less nicely than the last time.

This is the case for most domestic stuff. I recently managed to do my laundry and clean my room. It was a major action on par with the Normandy invasion for me because it had been so very long since I had done either. Casualties were, thankfully, kept to a minimum. I was thankful for that, because the laundry in particular threatened to inflict them. As most articles of clothing I owned had reached an unacceptable state of decrepitude, it was quite a weight that I had to lug down to the laundry room and back.

The room cleaning also could have been trouble. I tend to clean in a frenzy, and so I very easily could have conked my head or done something else. Who wants to die young? I would just as soon live in squalor as die trying to avert it.Still, one does crazy things in a time of crisis, even sometimes risking life and limb in just such conditions. In this case, it worked out very well. I don't expect accolades. I didn't do it for that. It was just the right thing to do.

Hopefully the next time for cleaning will be soon enough that it will not merit consideration for a medal of honor. Can I do the little things day by day to keep the laundry pile low and the room clear of debris and ill odors? I have in the past, and I could again in the future, surely. If I don't, this harrowing sacrifice will have been for naught. It wouldn't be the first time though, and if it's not the first time, what's the harm? Let it be for naught.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?