Monday, April 21, 2014

Further Apace

I have continued to make progress on my unwatched backlog of VHS tapes, of which there are currently 54. I credit my currently strong resolve as well as a lack of funds to buy any at the present. That does not stop the collection from growing due to the generosity of friends however, and so my task remains an occasionally challenging one. It is, of course, not strictly an onerous task. It is also a fun one, and towards the end of illuminating that fact, here are accounts of my latest conquests.

I managed to watch two the other day. I might have watched more if I had gotten an earlier start and if one of them had not been rather long. That film was "Excalibur", which I was of a mind to watch after having seen "Dragonslayer". I can say that Excalibur is not quite as good. It's possible that it was the prettier film to look at, which is certainly true if one excludes the scenes in Dragonslayer that feature the dragon. Unfortunately, Excalibur was just too hard to follow. The plot was sometimes rather baffling, and never slowed down enough to let you absorb what was going on at any given time.

They say a change is as good as a rest, which is why when I watch multiple films, I try to ensure that each is very different from the one preceding it. I figured that few films would be quite as different from Excalibur as "Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes, which is why I opted to watch that next. I helped that it was also a relatively short film. It strikes me as one of those movies that obtained its reputation largely from people who have not seen it. It's interesting, but sometimes came within shouting distance of being unwatchable. It never was, but it was sometimes a little trying.

I had hoped to squeeze in a third film, but just did not have it in me by the time the credits rolled on those tomatoes around four in the morning. God only knows how it came to that, but I slept with the determination that I would close the gap on those unwatched tapes, and maybe sooner rather than later. I think that within a month or two of steady progress, I could make it happen so long as I don't get a lot of gifts along the way. We'll just see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?