Sunday, November 3, 2013

A Violent Dream

Yesterday's post, recounting and analyzing the first of at least six dreams, was a touch more candid that I usually write. Today's is not less candid, but like many Americans (if I can claim to understand us), I'm more at ease with violence than sex. In any case, we will see if I have any luck working out the meaning of this one after the fact with only the evidence of what I remembered upon waking up after it was over.

Here is precisely what I wrote: "Second dream involved myself and a house of people being stalked by a killer (one who talked). I remember little except that when there were 3 of us left, he demanded a representative for some unknown purpose. The dream ends there." There you have it. There is considerably less to go on here than there was from the first dream, and yet taken together, the two dreams may give up some meaning.

It's interesting that just after dreaming of sex, I dreamed of violence. Perhaps I visited punishment upon myself for granting myself the indulgence of such pleasure. I don't pretend to be an authority, but there is that and there is the notion that sex and violence intersect in other ways. I studied film, not psychology. The only reading I did on this stuff concerns the sexuality of slasher films, which is typically conservative and often misogynistic.

 I don't know if the other stuff could mean anything, but there are some curious specifics in the mention of a talking killer (as opposed to a silent one common to most slasher films I've seen) and even more in that bit of a representative. That just seems strange. I won't pretend to guess at the meaning of that, except that I do sometimes have a way of getting bogged down in meaningless logistics. That way, I avoid the often-intimidating matter at hand.

So much for analyzing this dream. At the very least I can say that I have made an honest effort to do so. Tomorrow and the next day, I will tackle the first and the second dream that I think came during the night following an improv show that I hosted. There may be something in those, both of which have a fair amount of material into which I can sink my teeth. We will find out together, if I haven't lost you, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?