Saturday, August 10, 2013

The Kind Journalism

I have for some time been very fond of pole dancing. I've even done a little bit myself, although in that regard I remain entirely a novice. As a fan, I've gotten somewhat familiar with the art and the sport of it. It's such an impressive feat of athletics and artistic expression that I'm badly frustrated by those who mistake it for stripping or anything of the kind. It's an amazing thing to see, and those who do it are incredible human beings.

Still, it is poorly understood by most and commonly derided in mainstream media. I figured this would hold true when I laid eyes on a pole dancing profile on the front page of the Wall Street Journal. The stipple portrait showed a dancer stretching. The continuation of the article showed the same dancer performing in a color photograph (thus proving how times have changed at the staid journal of record for matters financial).

Imagine my surprise when I found a very reasonable and even-handed article on the struggle of pole dancing to achieve acceptance and gain entry in the Olympics as a full-fledged sport. While these goals will likely not be achieved any time soon, sadly, the article and its thrust show how far things have come. If a lot of bankers and traders in New York are ready to hear about this, then how far behind can the International Olympic Committee be?

I got very excited, first of all by a pole dancer rendered in stipple art and second of all by the friendly article itself. I got out my phone to take numerous pictures, and posted them online in short order. Perhaps the Wall Street Journal will find an unlikely spike in sales here in LA, and will trace it to a grateful pole dancing community informed of the article due to my chance observation of it. It's a happy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?