Sunday, November 20, 2011

Lunching

As I write this, the single most notable home-cooked meal is coming up within a few days. I mean by that, of course, Thanksgiving. It comes at a very good time for me, as I have been in downtown LA on jury duty for most of two weeks. I typically eat as many meals at home as I can, eating out only when out with my friends on an infrequent basis. This seemed to be an unworkable system when in a courtroom most of the time.

I really probably could have brought my lunch with me, but then that would have required thinking about my lunch plans prior to the minute before I had to leave the building or be late. You don't want to be late for something at the courthouse. So it was that I found myself eating lunch either in the courthouse cafeteria or at a downtown eatery ten times in two weeks. First and foremost, that obviously led my food budget to greatly exceed its usual parameters.

A second point of impact on me from this was likely in the area of health. I have not lately weighed myself, but I have to imagine that I have gained a few pounds. It is distinctly possible that some of my ribs are somewhat less discernible than usual when I take off my shirt. Beyond that, by a whole host of measures I must be much less healthy than I was two weeks ago. Not only have I been eating a richer, less wholesome diet, I have been even less active than usual.

As a result of all this, I feel I must make a concerted effort to balance things out for the next two weeks at least (but probably extending beyond that). I must spend as little as I can manage to eat better than I have been doing, and I must do at least a little physical exercise if I can possibly manage it. My usual walking to get around may not even be sufficient. I might have to jog or something, or even lift weights. That won't happen, but I will at least attempt the other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?