Friday, November 4, 2011

I Like Jazz

I have what it would be fair to call an eclectic taste in music. Now, don't mistake my meaning when I say that, because I certainly don't mean that amorphous "world music" so prevalent in coffee shops. That's the kind of music it seems people often mean when the word eclectic comes up. No, my musical tastes are somewhat more conventional than that, if not always greatly more commercial. One of the genres I enjoy is jazz, which has not made money in a hell of a long time.

I want to stress that I like the right kind of jazz. Smooth jazz is not any good (except that the voice which announces the station identification for smooth jazz outposts on the radio is rather impressive). Smooth jazz is like white rice to the wild rice that is proper jazz. It's filler. They use it at stores to influence you into passivity. If you're serious about jazz, you know that you only get your necessary allotment of musical vitamins and nutrients from the real deal.

I think of the jazz that was dangerous. There was a time when that was a popular conception of the establishment. It was believed by some at least that jazz was a threat to society. It was fast, it was honest, and it was lusty more so than merely passionate. Even watered down by white musicians for mainstream consumption as "rock and roll" it was looked at askance by parents, clergymen and elected officials. It must have been exciting.

I don't listen to jazz exclusively, as I said. Frankly, people who do seem strange to me. I couldn't be content that way. I listen to what I have a feeling for, and sometimes it's jazz alone which can answer the call. Just remember that it's not all good. Decide for yourself what sort you consider to be real jazz, but beware if you go against my ideals. I expect the music to be wild and the vocals to be smooth (except for those supplied by Satchmo).

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?