Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Paternal Botany

I wrote of pets yesterday in an unflattering light, so let me show another side. A desire that has largely gone unfulfilled since I have moved to Los Angeles is that of having a pet. My whole life I had one pet or another, and it was most satisfying to love them and care for them. There were great annoyances when they would misbehave and there was deep grief when they would expire, but it was a worthwhile thing in my experience. Unfortunately, the apartment building in which I now live does not permit pets. Now that I am fully responsible for my home, I don't know that I would want one anyway. What they do allow are plants, although I cannot have an "excessive" amount.

For some time I contemplated the idea of getting a plant, and seeing that reference to them in my new lease led me to cement the plan. Of course, with the holidays coming I decided to wait a little. The weather was bad and I would be leaving town for a while anyway. I like my roommates and have no good reason to doubt their ability to care for a plant, but there was no upside to getting one at that time and entrusting it to them. Either they would care for it poorly and kill it or care for it well and leave me coming in effectively as an interloper the plant didn't really know and not its true owner. Plants are really rather intuitive, I suspect.

Once I returned from my trip home, I meant to get that plant immediately, but the weather remained poor. I did not want to start off at a high-risk time, so I waited it out, and while it did not get as warm as I would have liked, the rain stopped and things dried out. The plant needs water, but that would just have been too much. So, the conditions were right, and I had only to find the plant. A day came when I happened to be near a dollar store which I knew carried plants. A friend was with me, and he consented to take me there before we went to the apartment building where we both live. Due to a misunderstanding he drove us to a different location of the same chain.

I had been thinking of a cactus, as they require little care. They also are a reminder of Arizona. Unfortunately, the store had none in stock. They had a selection of a few flowering plants on hand. Available in such abundance that they were priced at two for a dollar were pointsettias. I know a bargain when I see one, and I took two of the best-looking specimens. Upon arriving home, I shucked their plastic sleeves and established them on the ledge of our balcony. I watered them and left them there to their new home. I am presently sending them good vibes and considering names.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?