Thursday, January 6, 2011

Let's Watch!

I can hardly stand to watch sports alone anymore. I sometimes can if I have an overwhelming interest in a game for one reason or another. It's not enough for it to be any kind of championship game. I can watch if I have some kind of fantasy sports interest, or if my favorite college team is involved. Otherwise it's tough. I get distracted and bored. It has given me reason to contemplate the specific qualities of certain types of people with whom I might and have watched games. It can affect things about as much as having someone or not.

A generally disinterested or uneducated party is about worse than no one. It's exhausting explaining things. I think I'm not a very good teacher. It can be amusing sometimes, but is otherwise too much for me. It's best if those with whom I watch a game are reasonably knowledgeable, but of course I don't mined if they're no more so than I am. No one likes to get corrected on a fact or point of game tactics and strategy, or maybe that's just me (and I'm the point, aren't I?).

That's hardly the most important thing. Significantly more important is the question of temperament. I'm a sensitive guy, and when the fate of teams for whom I rood is on the line, I don't care for a negative attitude. It ought to be positive and sympathetic if not supportive or optimistic. I sometime find myself waging an hours-long defense of a team even when I don't really believe all the things that I'm saying. It's some point of pride or principle, I suppose. It makes the game not terribly pleasant.

Those qualifications rule out many, but leave in a number of people who make the watching of a game a very enriching experience, even allowing for some being rather obnoxious adherents of their own favorite teams. It is to the credit of some that they have been my competitors in fantasy leagues. They know very well the conflicting feelings of wanting one's players to do well, but not at the expense of one's favorite teams and vice-versa. So it is that I am sometimes able to watch games when friends are on hand and unable to do so at other times, ultimately effecting a healthy, balanced life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?