Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Meat Market

I have a hard enough time doing my grocery shopping. I don't enjoy it in the least, and am always desperate to get out of there so that I can do something else. I don't have the easiest time making decisions, so I spend forever in there, and that's when all I'm doing is scrutinizing the merits and prices of food. Now, I'm used to shopping in ordinary grocery stores where all the people are either outrightly unappealing or at best generally non-descript. That's what the stores back home were like, and that's what they were like in both Chicago and each neighborhood I've lived in here so far. Even the place just a couple of miles away was like that.

Here is different. This is genuinely a cool neighborhood. There's no end of neat stuff. The streets are alive and the business enterprises smack of vitality. I've said that this neighborhood is better than Hollywood, because it has the cool people but not the crazy people. That carries over to the grocery store. Evidently no matter how awesome you are, you still have to not just eat but shop for yourself. I always was fascinated by the DMV because I figured everyone has to go eventually, including the rich, famous and cool. Such people would not have to go to the grocery store, right? I guess I was wrong about that.

It's rather distracting and downright unhelpful in some respects. If I'm not careful, I might be overly cognizant of the attractive women and let that start to influence my selections. I can hardly afford to buy foods that might impress such women, and what would be the sense in trying? I don't think it matters what deli meats I buy- I'm just not going to have a shot with some women. I may as well try as I always have to buy what I want and can manage in as little time as I can. If a woman is drawn to me on that account, it must surely be true love.

Of course, I do see the good in this. You have in a grocery store like this a dinner and a show. I can appreciate good looking people and get something to eat as well. The food may be no more than canned ravioli or burritos, but the entertainment takes a backseat to no one. Cool, good-looking people such as I describe live hard, and I've found that you never know quite what you could see at that grocery store if you go at the right time, and I ought to note that it is open twenty four hours a day. I'm certainly not going to go solely in hopes of seeing a spectacle, but the odds are with you if you go often enough. It's one of the things I really like about this neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?