Thursday, May 29, 2014

Riding High Writing

A few days ago, I was invited to fill in on the writing staff of "Top Story! Weekly:", the show for which I have written jokes and some sketches over the course of the last year. Each time I've gotten to do something more for them, it's been a thrill, and for all of that time what I've wanted is to be a proper member of the writing staff. That hasn't happened yet, but getting to effectively be one for even a week is a good step. I'm only partway through the experience, but so far it's been great.

Last night, there was the pitch session (which began in inauspicious if amusing fashion when the neighbors mistook me for a criminal as I approached the house hosting it and made an alarmed phone call to the host). There were only a few of us there, but fuelled by white grape juice (which, the oenephile host informed us, is made with green grapes), we proceeded and came up with no shortage of fine ideas. It really was a blast, I'll say.

The others each had an idea or two which we discussed with gusto. I was happy to make what contributions I could, and some were rather well received. When it came my turn to present ideas, I of course began prevaricating with remarks about the news stories not being big and the ideas for them not being good, but I was cajoled into going on, and I presented a whole pile of ideas. I worried that I might be chastized for taking up so much time, but that was not the case, and out of the whole bunch, there must have been half a dozen that were well liked.

I committed to doing three, and spent the next afternoon pounding those out in between cups of tea. I was fairly well drained at the end of it, but there is no rest for the weary (or wicket, as they sometimes say): that same day, there was the read-through with the cast. As that hasn't happened yet, I can't say how it went, but I expect it to be fun and I hope my sketches will be well-received. You may rest assured I will have something to say on that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?