Sunday, February 16, 2014

At Last Seen

I've finally seen "Braveheart", for which I can thank a dear friend and tireless proponent of the film. I had, for whatever reason, never seen it during its run in theaters (which came all too early for me to gain entrance, though I can't recall having any burning urge at the time) or any time since on home video. It was one of those movies which I periodically would have to say I've never seen, often drawing feigned gasps and incredulous looks.

Titanic was another movie like that, and I definitely could have seen that one in the theater if I'd wanted to, considering it was not rated R. I think I really had no interest in that one, playing as heavily as it did on the love story. When I finally saw it, I appreciated it fairly well. It had its flaws (which were all the more apparent watching it recently with all the hype built up), but I did like it well enough. No one even had to push me into watching it.

Though I did require some coercion to finally watch Braveheart, I will admit I did like it. I doubt whether I could possibly love it as much as my friend, but I did like it. It was as well-executed an example of an epic film as there really could be. In talking about it after, I contrasted Braveheart's years-spanning story with that of "Gladiator", which confined itself to less time, and which therefore had an easier road narrative-wise. That aside, I can see now how they are fairly similar films.

I don't know what other allegedly must-watch movies I have yet to dispense with. It may be that I've actually hit all the ones I'm supposed to have, which might have taken me even longer given my propensity for watching more obscure, less regarded films. Maybe now I will be more left alone to watch those as I like. I doubt it. It's more likely that some other movie I have to see will pop up, but I will take that as it comes. For now, I can point to a great accommodation that I've made.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?