Friday, September 7, 2012

They Walk Amongst Us

I read something online from what I suppose you would call the neighborhood association. It drew my attention to the recent presence in the neighborhood of a celebrity. As it was Vanessa Hudgens, I was not exactly stricken to the core by the specifics of the matter, but the generalities were interesting. We have a vibrant neighborhood just bursting with people I'm certain can and will make it if there's any justice, but established stars are not to be found here so much as other districts.

That's what I would think, anyway. I suppose it's really not correct. There are rather prominent people closer to me than I would think, I'm sure. There are some reasons why. There are theaters where they perform or otherwise appear. There are highly regarded places where they work out or train at one discipline or another. They are around to record music, and maybe even they live here in some small numbers. It's quite a thing to think about.

It's one thing to know it, but applying it is something else. There's little use in the knowledge, I think. I'm not the type to approach celebrities, but I doubt how well I'd recognize them in any case. There are plenty who I just don't know (owing to my own tastes), but even those who I do would very likely be unfamiliar to me in person. People don't look in person the way they do on the screen, even when they are meant to look very natural.

There's also the fact that I tend to be distrustful of my own identification of people that I should know. I'll be looking hard at someone and thinking that I know who it is, but ultimately be willing to take a chance on the name I've decided to put with the face. That is unlikely to be much different with celebrities. It would have to be a hell of a big name for me to be entirely certain, particularly if the person is making a genuinely good effort at keeping a low profile. Anyway, it's interesting enough to think that they're around.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

I would find it difficult to recognize a celeb. And I agree with you about approaching one. I strongly respect people's privacy. Once I saw Leslie Neilson at the grocery store and didn't say a word. Then when he checked out, the cashier was all crazed and telling those around her about her brush with fame.

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?