Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Rough Justice

A friend and I went over to the grocery store to pick up some things for ourselves, and in that there is nothing remarkable. It might have been something else if we had been buying things for somebody else or for each other, but we were there for very conventional reasons: we were hungry. Well, there would be nothing to write about if not for something that I saw on the way out of the place, which was the dog tied up outside.

As it was an evening in southern California, the weather was most agreeable for a dog to be outside. This was not a case of animal neglect or cruelty, as there was nothing to suggest that the dog was any less happy than if he had been home or romping in the park. Being so near to a lot of food, he might have been even more happy than under normal circumstances. No, he was doing just fine for himself there.

This dog, who I ought to note looked something like a miniature Pinscher, seemed to pose more a threat to patrons of a grocery store than did the environmental conditions pose a threat to his health. I'll concede that he appeared docile enough, and probably would do nothing to anyone unless severely provoked, but as they often say in the worlds of business and politics, the mere appearance of impropriety is apt to be enough.

For my part, I forget any possibility of going into stores if I have a dog with me. That happens relatively seldom, as I only occasionally am called on to walk a neighbor's pit bull. I take her to the park and then I take her home. I don't go running errands, tying her up outside every place to frighten strangers who don't know any better as to her sweet, loving disposition. Somebody's liable to take needless measures against that Pinscher.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

That is irresponsible dog care...some people are just so lackadaisical about their obligations to their pets!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?