Friday, May 13, 2011

Sufficient

I love self-contained things. I'm something of a completist, but also love nothing more than simplicity, so I will always buy something that has everything I need in it rather than go through the nerve-wracking process of getting it all individually and assembling it myself. That's what I did when I had to buy the airline toiletries. I saw a package of everything, and I grabbed it with relief. That's also what I do most often when shopping.

There's a particular thing I just love getting on half the trips I make to the grocery store. I go right to the deli  area. Now, it's generally closed during the hours that most of my visits occur, but it's not the services of its staff that I'm after. It's those sandwiches. They have a bunch of wrapped-up sandwiches available for purchase at all hours. Just 3.99 plus tax secures me a seventeen ounce sandwich with cheese, lettuce and a choice of turkey, ham or roast beef.

I always get the roast beef, reasoning that the rest of my diet probably leaves me a little short on iron. Let me tell you, those sandwiches are just heavenly. I usually pick through them in search of the best one. They all weigh the same, though I wouldn't believe it if it weren't for my implicit trust in the county bureau of weights and measures. No, the thing to be sure of is freshness. Not every sandwich is strong enough to hold up for the hours or even days that they languish before my gaze falls upon them.

It may not make the most sense from a cost-analysis perspective to buy ready-made sandwiches at 3.99 a piece when the cost of three or four probably could be applied to a couple dozen were I to buy the individual ingredients. Ah, but you fail to take into account sanity. I value it too much to risk it on saving a few bucks. They have figured out which ingredients in what quantities to make the sandwich from, so why should I duplicate their efforts. I recall reading that the man who made the original set of bingo cards went crazy. That could easily have happened to the designed of this incredible sandwich, so while I honor his or her sacrifice, I won't repeat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?