Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Curse Of Cussing

While I do my best when it comes to speaking the English language in a grammatically correct fashion, I'm no saint when it comes to the implementation of those infamous Anglo-Saxon words of such objection. I hasten to note that I don't swear as much as some. Nonetheless, I find that those words are an inextricable part of my vocabulary and speech. That being the case, I have a powerful curiosity about their use.

You might think that I would start delving into the history of foul language, given my great interest in history. Interestingly enough, I find that I have no real interest in the origins of four letter words or the evolution in their use. Their utility is something I think about considerably more. People just cannot seem to do without them, and that's actually a shame when you think about how much more fun common substitutes can be. To say "Shut the front door" or "Doggone it" shows as much creativity as it does sensitivity.

For my part, I find myself swearing at any particular time for one of two reasons. The first is of course when I am angry. Because I tend to shy away from confrontation, I tend to mutter a blue streak under my breath or voice the vile words more loudly when alone. I don't like that I ever turn to them for that reason. I greatly dislike it from others, and so it is rather disagreeable that I should do the very thing myself. I mean to wean myself from the practice.

The more pleasant use that I have for cursing is in jest. Now, I want to say yet again that on their own curse words are not inherently funny. This is a fatal mistake made by many standup comedians, and there are few experiences more painful than being in the room when one is positively dying while going very blue. No, I find that one has to work at least as hard at being funny when swearing as not- maybe more so. A swear word is merely one part out of many that sometimes fits into the laugh machine that I am building. I just want the part that works.

On the whole, foul language is a good thing. I can't imagine where we would be without it. Perhaps without bad words there would be more bad deeds. Even so, I think I would like to swear somewhat less so that I would be more in line with my idea of a pleasant person. With respect to some words I'm already there, but others will be difficult to divorce myself from. They just roll off the tongue too easily. It will be tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?