Sunday, February 6, 2011

"Who's We?"

They say most people don't like their jobs. When one also considers that people who both do and don't also may dislike what has become of the other aspects of their lives, there are a lot of unhappy people. That being the case, I certainly do understand why many people would feel the impulse to live vicariously through others. I just don't think they should do it, and it annoys me. One of the biggest areas I see this in is spectator sports.

Even though that's what it is, you hear a lot more 'we' than 'they' from said spectators. I say the latter because I do not have a playing or coaching contract with the teams I enjoy watching. I like them, but I am not them and have no practical stake in them. I may be happy when they win and unhappy when they lose, but my fate has nothing to do with theirs unless I bet on them, and I don't do that. I recognize that my life is defined as a success or a failure based on what I do, not what the Phoenix Suns do. I just enjoy watching good basketball and retain affectionate feelings for the place I came from.

When would I say 'we'? As I said, I obviously would do so if I played for the team or were employed by them in some capacity, but I could see my way clear if certain other conditions were met. I have my opinions on what the best way to win would be, but they certainly never call to see what I think. Maybe if they did I would feel better about identifying myself as one of them. So far as I know, they don't know who I am. If I described myself as one half of a couple and the other half as being some particular woman who doesn't know who I am, that would be crazy.

Am I calling fans who see themselves as being part of the team insane? I am, but only moderately so. If you're in that number, I suggest you consider the value of living life instead of emotionally investing in those who do. The reality is that at your age you have no realistic chance of living out the dream of professional athletics, and neither do I. You can still play in a recreational league or attend a fantasy camp, in which cases you would be well within your rights to say 'we' in reference to a team whose chances for winning you actually affect in a meaningful way. Either do that or just say 'they'. I'm sorry to be a wet blanket, but it's the only way I can see to rid myself of this particular annoyance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?