Thursday, February 24, 2011

These Are The People In My Building

It's been a few days since the last time I wrote about my apartment building, which means quite naturally that it's time for the next time. Some things about the place were obvious from the start, but others were only going to become apparent to me over time, and one of them is the people in the building. I already knew four people who lived there, and of course began to know the landlady early on (Should I call her the building manager or supervisor? It seems so cold and impersonal). The strangers in the building are at last becoming known to me at a glacial pace.

Several have become friends, but the jury is out on the others. I'm just now seeing some more than once, and I know their faces if not their names. Getting to know them is a curious dance. I ought to have introduced myself the first time I saw them, but I didn't, and so now it will be weird. I'm putting it off. I am getting to know them purely by observation and periodic, clipped verbal exchanges of one or two words. As I said, it's a slow process.

I'm led to believe that the makeup of residents on my floor is more people my age than on lower floors, which is a good thing. They would seem to be far less likely to make a fuss about things like noise. Indeed, should those with whom I am birds of a feather hear any carrying on from my unit, I'm sure I can count on them to introduce themselves with additional refreshments as their calling car. That is always welcome.

Others may not be like that, but I'm still glad to see them around and perhaps get to know them some. There are some intriguing looking sorts around here of an older vintage, and there are some families as well. To see rambunctious kids running about and playing recklessly brings a smile to my face, maybe because I never really got past that. I just grew short on energy and time. Well, regarding my more elusive fellow denizens, the chase is on, and I shall be glad to make their acquaintance at its conclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?