Thursday, December 30, 2010

Staying In

As I believe I've made plain in the past, I have at least the opportunity to go out and do something about every night. I take advantage of that most times, which is a major change from years ago. I still can't bear to go out on some occasions. I remain something of a homebody at heart, and can't override that instinct every time. This has something to do with the fact that I've found being social to be considerably more expensive than being the isolated, socially stunted hermit I once was. Periodically being a jerk and coldly rejecting all entreaties to hang out goes a long way towards ensuring my solvency all the way through each month.

There are more practical reasons why I hole up for the night sometimes. Not so long ago, there was a long string of rainy days, and while I was brave enough to go out and face it at first, it was the second day which had me declaring an unwillingness to leave home except by necessity. This is just the perfect situation for staying in. Ideally one has all the trappings necessary. Such items as a hot beverage, soup and traditional indoor activities like jigsaw puzzles or a movie are good, and it's best if whatever you settle on is done within sight of a window showing just how dreadful it is out there.

Now being warned, for staying in begins as a wonderful, liberating idea which allows you to relax, secure in the knowledge that you don't have to get ready, travel or interact with anyone, but it doesn't always end as such a fantastic idea. Somehow a self-empowering decision becomes a personal rejection by the friends with whom you have passed up the opportunity to spend time. The twisted logic of it makes sense in the moment. Keeping occupied in ways which I have described above are the way to forestall that. Should they fail, consider making contact with a friend who lives somewhere far away- ideally a friend who has likewise no plans to go out.

These days, no matter how late in the evening it gets, I know I'm really not past the point of no return when it comes to staying in. I guess that at my age I should expect that many of the activities I do need not begin until very late in the light, given that last call takes place at 2 in the morning and a veritable bar which abides by no such rules exists in the home of friends very near by. I could very well hear from them hours after I have resigned myself to my plan of staying in. That suits me well enough. Going two stories down in the same building is basically still staying in, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?