Friday, March 12, 2010

The Psychology Of The Delayed Payment

I spoke of the wonder that is being asked to pay for your restaurant service only after you enjoy its every benefit. That had to do with a larger concept: that of the payment made for services rendered. As I believe I indicated then, there's nothing interesting or surprising about paying for something either at the time it is received or before. For the seller to do it any other way would be to practically dare the customer to default on their debt, and yet it happens, as I observed.

On the other hand, there are those occasions where you are asked to pay only after services are rendered or a product is placed into your possession, but not to the provider of same. I speak of those occasions where a bank or credit company acts as an intermediary. The university, car dealership, or retail outlet receives its payment from them, and they in turn assume the risk of non-payment. The difference in methods is to me akin to the difference in style of border security between America's northern border and its southern one.

I don't often charge things to credit, so when I do, it's with a great deal of thought. I also become rather contemplative when the notice comes for payment of the latest installment of my college loans. I begin to think about the value of what I'm paying for. If I feel I'm continuing to reap benefits, then of course it's not as bad. If the payment is for something now seemingly worthless or something that I no longer possess, it's a bitter pill to swallow seeing those funds deducted from my account. Such is life in the world we've made for ourselves. Really, I suppose it's rather amusing when one can think about it from an emotional distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?