Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Many Ways

It is interesting what motivates me to get out of bed to begin my day. Sometimes it is just that I cannot sleep anymore. That would be a natural waking that signifies that I have actually gotten a proper night's rest. I guess it doesn't happen that much, but it has. It's not very exciting. It's about as exciting as filling up at the gas station, which is interesting only in that it presents an opportunity to look cool and nonchalant for a few minutes.

It is exciting and powerfully motivating to wake up because you really have to. This obviously happens often enough, and is the only reason I ever get up early. The fact that I am easily able to get up out of necessity suggests that I could get up early as a rule (except that it would then conflict with my desire to stay up very late). The very most exciting incidences of getting up out of necessity are when I wake up a bit late and must immediately dress and leave the house. That is stimulating.

The best motivations are things that I want to do. If we suppose that I have a movie I really want to watch and was unable to the previous day, that is a fun and exciting reason to wake up, since I can dream about the movie but can't watch it until I get two feet on the floor. Of course, I don't habitually watch movies in the morning- so maybe that's not the best example- but I think you get the point. Who doesn't like to be awakened by something pleasant, or to have something pleasant waiting when you do wake up?

Probably the absolute best thing is if there is something really good to eat. If there is the promise of a good breakfast, that will do it every time. I can manage in the absence of one, but knowing that there is something really good ready to be made, I will leap out of bed and attack the day. It doesn't even need to be hot and ready to go, its tendrils of flavor reaching to my bed. Just knowing it's in a box in the pantry is enough. Knowing that, you'd think I would prioritize the purchase of good breakfast materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?