Thursday, July 1, 2010

Rubicon

It's going to be poems for the next four days, as my first rejection has come in, and they no longer need to be saved for that periodical. Hopefully my own readers will be more receptive. There has been little feedback to speak of thus far from them for my poetry except that there has been no vehement rejection of it. That would seem to be good news, considering that such was the end of my movie reviews.

Let it never be said that I don't take criticism into account, but I think I have adequate reason to write some more poetry. No matter what, though, I don't expect to ever devote myself to it fully. As I write this, Amazon.com's top-selling book of poetry ranks 1,652nd overall. That speaks for itself. I have no intention of my ultimate reward being the posthumous recognition of having my work placed on a mandatory reading list by English department faculty.

The writing of poetry is growing on me somewhat. I have my sights set on composing something gripping and action-packed like "Gunga Din" or "Charge Of The Light Brigade". At any rate, I think I'm getting more comfortable writing in rhyme as well as in a form. I have always maintained that restrictions can force creativity rather than stifling it, and I think my efforts bear that out to some extent.

I turn my back upon the past
No more its demons shall I fear
I say that now the die is cast

I found the strength to charge at last
and now I can get out of here
I turn my back upon the past

I regret the many years passed
While I was passed by every peer
I say that now the die is cast

To regain the ground I'll go fast
and without rest persevere
I turn my back upon the past

I'll be no more the one outclassed
They'll smile at me instead of sneer
I say that now the die is cast

I'll reach the mountain top at last
and breath the air so rare and clear
I turn my back upon the past
I say that now the die is cast

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?