Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Summertime

The summer is coming, and this year I hope to really take advantage of the things that make it a good time of the year. I've written exhaustively about how I have spent that time in the past. One doesn't have to work  at doing summer things while at summer camp. On the other hand, it has made the range of my summer activity experiences somewhat limited. Apart from camp, I have spent some time at the beach in past years, and a lot of time at the ballpark lately.

As I said, this has got to be the year I open things up. I almost got into something that would have begun this fairly well- a baseball league out in Pasadena. Rec league athletics- that's something that people do in the summer, right? The key thing is outdoorsy and other seasonal stuff. The beach is the thing I hope to do a lot of. Perhaps finally going to the pool is something I could do. There's one right in my building, and yet I haven't set foot in it during the past two summers I've lived here. That's something I'm constantly guilty of- passing up even the easiest and closest to home stuff for no good reason.

Swimming is not an exceptionally expensive pastime. I just have to get a pair of swimming trunks (as it still seems most appropriate to call what men wear in the water) and a decent beach-style towel. In between opportunities to go to the beach with friends, the pool is something I have no excuse not to do. Apart from swimming, I should do more in the park. Eating excursions seem within reach- picnics, maybe. Barbeques could happen, as could the more manageable (and distinct) cookout.

Getting out of town could happen, too. People do that, perhaps going up north where it's nice and cool. I have done that on rare occasions. Traveling abroad might be a bridge too far, but failing that, something could be done. I could get back home, but that's really something better done during the fall and winter. People don't hit Arizona in the summer, and if they did, they sure wouldn't be doing it this summer anyway.

Whatever I do, I've got to do something, and this seems like the year it could happen now that I'm so well entrenched in a community that won't take no for an answer when it comes to the many social activity invites they pelt you with day and night. Chances are it will happen for me this summer with no deliberate action on my part. Here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?