Thursday, January 29, 2009

Scripts; then I ramble on about a variety of other subjects

As short a time as I have been involved in film and tv production, I have had occasion to read a lot of scripts; a particularly high number of them have been short films. Something that most of the films, short and feature-length alike, have had in common is that they have been pretty bad. Even excluding the ones I turned down, most were awful. That's not to say that all were, but even among the ones that I myself wrote, most were not good. I usually decide that the ability to write a good script is just one skill of many required to realize a film, and if the people I'm working with lack that one, it's probably all right if they have the rest.

I'm happy to report that I have just read the script of a film being shot by a friend, and was delighted to discover that the script is good. I expect that there's no money in this one, but there's nonetheless enough reason to be a part of it. I very much like the director (and the script, as indicated above), and anticipate that the set will have something that my kitchen does not: food.

In other news, this looks to be a very eventful end of the week, as I am scheduled to be out doing things on three of the next four days. Fairly rare for me, excepting baseball season since I came to LA. As a friend has Dodgers season tickets and often cannot use either one or both of his tickets, I have usually ended up at Dodger Stadium all week every other week between April and October.

In closing, today is my Toastmasters meeting (the first since I officially joined). For those of you (many, I imagine) who aren't familiar with it, Toastmasters is an organization for the betterment of one's public speaking. My father has been a member almost since I was born, and I have now joined as well. Today I will be presenting the word of the day as well as acting as the grammarian. You'll be the first to know how it all goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?